East Riding Council Social Media Training Programme
Deliver a series of social media workshops for business owners across the East Riding
Broadband East Riding is a multi-million partnership between East Riding of Yorkshire Council and BT. In 2014, Broadband East Riding introduced a business support programme to help small and medium-sized businesses learn about the benefits of digital technology. Workshops were needed to show local companies how to harness social media as a marketing tool to reach their customer base in more ways, more often, for less money. Sally was asked to present workshops on social media to local businesses across the county.
Sally worked alongside Broadband East Riding to devise a series of workshops that would demonstrate to local businesses the potential of social media.
Workshop topics included:
- Providing an overview of social media, examples of effective content creation, a comparison of each of the major platforms and discussions on which businesses typically fit best with which sites
- Tweets, retweets, followers and hashtags explained
- Creating the right Facebook profile, gaining likes and shares and building customer relationships to grow a business
- Helping businesses to get more from Facebook, including apps, ads & bidding, insights, and news feed algorithm
- Tips and timesaving tools to help businesses get more from Twitter, including trends, ads, Hootsuite, lists and analysing audiences.
Workshops were held in various locations including Beverley, Pocklington, Bridlington and Driffield.
- More than 400 local businesses took part in workshops
- Fantastic feedback scores from sessions – over 92% said they were extremely happy with the training and level of knowledge it gave them
- Many business owners booked for follow-up workshops.
- “The training was excellent! Lots of very useful information! We are nearly at 1000 like at Vanessa Deli due to my increased knowledge.” Jane Gregory – On behalf of -Stuarts of Driffield
- “After attending the informative Facebook masterclass session with Sally in Bridlington and learning about advertising opportunities on Facebook. We decided to run our first ever Facebook advertising campaign and we were delighted with the results, gaining new customers and sales and also raising the profile of our page with a hundred new likes on our page over a two day period.” James Storrie
- “The training was explained well and gave me a better understanding of what tools can be used to reach a bigger market. This was highlighted with clear presentation from Sally and group discussions worked well too. I currently am trying new boosts etc on Facebook and posting more.” Katie Lane – The Chatty Couch
- “I found the training very interesting, gave me clarity in the areas I was unsure of and I was able to put into practice what I was taught. I have made numerous contacts since finishing the training and being on Twitter has opened up these opportunities which I hope will lead to work in the future.” Heather Gilbert
- “The training was very informative and well presented – I was able to feedback a lot of info and suggestions to my colleagues who have relatively little social media experience. We have grown our Twitter following and managed to link up with other similar organisations and community groups for better promotion. I have also started tweeting via the #hour sessions with some success.” Ian
- “I thought the training was excellent and would definitely attend another Pick ‘n’ Mix workshop in the future. Since your workshop, I have set up a Northwood Facebook business page which is working well and we have had a number of positive reviews already posted to our webpage. I have also been using Hootlet and Buffer to save my time when finding industry-related articles for our twitter feed. I have yet to do any Facebook/twitter advertising but this is something I will be pursuing in the future. I really enjoyed both the Twitter and Facebook masterclass workshops and thought your content and presentation were excellent.” Ian Ryan, Marketing Assistant, Northwood
- “I found your Facebook and Twitter training sessions to be extremely helpful and informative. I’ve been using Facebook and Twitter for a number of years but never really grasped the immense potential these social media platforms offered – until now. You took me into areas of Twitter and Facebook that I had not seen before and shed light on a lot of nuts and bolts features and functions. This was underpinned with extremely useful tips and information on usage and protocols aimed at getting the most from these media. My main Twitter business account was getting an average of just under 1 new follower per day but the last four weeks have seen that average rise to a 8.9 new followers per day. While on Facebook my posts seem to be getting at least four times the reach they had before. I would definitely recommend Pick & Mix to anyone needing to harness the full power of social media.” Alan Best, EntsWeb Ltd
If you would like to discuss social media training for your business or team members please get in touch with us on 01904 863511 or visit our social media training information here.